[dba-VB] C# replace a special character

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 23 09:01:54 CDT 2009

 > I cannot think of anything that I would want to do outside of Access...is that sad or what?

That is sad indeed.  Nice that you have so much Access work that you never need to consider anything
else though.

I have a ton of SQL Server work for one specific client.  While I can and do use Access to perform
this work it is not very efficient.  My biggest issue is simply that Access is single threaded so
when I start a long running stored procedure out on the server, Access comes to a screeching halt.

I have logging processes running in the code that executes these stored procedures.  So I time how
long, what the SP name is, what specific file is being created or loaded, date / time that the step
occurred etc.  When a SP starts to run, Access locks up.  I cannot see the status log (through the
Access FE) that tells me where I am in the process.

As you can see, while Access does function, for this kind of thing it functions poorly.

Personally, for a variety of reasons I am moving to C#.Net for this kind of development.  C# is now
widely accepted as a valid language by my clients, it is extremely powerful, and it is pretty darned
fast, though it will not be as fast as a native EXE.  C# has a ton of database stuff available to it
(though I am not there yet), it has multi-threading (though I am not there yet), and on a Windows
environment it can do pretty much anything I can imagine doing (and I have a very active
imagination).  Additionally it can be used from right inside of SQL Server (though I am not there yet).

For me, C# makes a lot of sense.  It has a steep learning curve though.  If it weren't for the fact
that I am a consultant first and foremost, I would go with VB.Net.  I "played" with VB.Net quite a
bit in the past and it was a bit easier to come up to speed on, and every bit as powerful as C#
within the domain of problems I would ever attempt.

However if I ever need to sell my .Net skills, C# is just an easier sell.