[dba-VB] Merge rows

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 17:45:48 CDT 2009

Well, better brains then me will come up with the answer (are you there,
Charlotte).

What I would do is
1. Add an AutoNum field to the table - let that run overnight.  This is
good, as well you know. And you can make use of this from this point on.
2. set up the find-dupes wizard based on the natural key (!).
3. Extract the code from this.
4. put it into a module so that only those duplicate records are selected in
a recordset
5. loop through the recordset.
6. do a secondary recordset based on the natural key where the autonum is
not the same as the main record being looked at.
7. loop through the secondary records if found
8. update the main record.
9. delete the secondary record
10. move to next secondary record until none are left.
11. go to next main record.

Now, I am not saying that is the most efficient.  You may be able to do all
this in an SQL statement.

But, hey! At least I am trying to help.

Max