[dba-VB] Merge rows

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Sep 22 09:55:13 CDT 2009

 >BTW, I really envy you on that "mighty computers you have" subject - with white envy :))

Yes, they are reasonably powerful.  They would be more powerful if I could afford...  Top end Intel
processors, real server motherboards with more memory slots, multi-chip motherboards etc.

But for what I can afford they do pretty well.

You ain't seen nothing yet though.  I have every intention of creating RAID0 arrays of FLASH drives
large enough to hold this HSID database.  Probably three or four flash drives of 60 gigs each, raid
zero.  Remember that most of the time the actual day to day processing of this table is read only.
Except for the kind of cleanup we are discussing here, the table does not change on a month to month
basis.

If I can get the db out on a multi-spindle RAID0 flash drive array, then the IOPs will skyrocket,
the data transfer will skyrocket and the normal day to day stuff will REALLY fly.

I have read reviews of systems like this and they say it is extremely close to having the entire
database contained in RAM.

Right now these flash drives are still quite expensive.  60 gig drives are $230, so it would cost me
$1000 to do this.  However the results should be ... satisfying.  ;)