[dba-VB] JIT Subforms, was Merge rows (now: seriously OT)

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Sep 22 15:22:16 CDT 2009

Max,

That really wasn't my question.  Do you have multiple subform CONTROLS on your form, or do you have
a single subform control and just tell that one subform control to load a specific form when a
specific button is pushed.

Let me give you an example of when it is nice to have multiple subform controls, and keep them loaded.

I have an application where the user is looking at and possibly updating a lot of different data
about an insurance claim.  There is a single form with about 20 tabs on a tab control.  Each tab has
its own subform control.  The user clicks back and forth between the tabs.  He looks at the claimant
information, he looks at the policy information, he looks at the claim information, he looks at
benefit checks paid, he looks back at...  He sends email out to a doctor, or he prints a medical
information request form from a doctor...

Get the picture?  He might have the claimant on the phone and just be answering questions, or he
might be performing some process to the claim.

In the end he is spending a long time in a given claim.  Tabbing back and forth between the tabs and
reloading the subforms isn't necessarily efficient.  They are not moving back and forth between
claims, in fact the form loads with a single claim loaded, and they cannot add or delete or move
between CLAIM records.  When the form loads, it does not load all of the subforms, in fact it does
not load ANY subforms, all of which are out on separate tabs.  However once a tab is clicked and a
subform loads, I do not unload the subform.  Why would I?  It takes time to load and why cause the
user to reload a form on a tab that he visited a few seconds ago?  Keeping the subform loaded in no
way slows down his work, in fact it speeds it up.

As you can see, there are valid reasons for having multiple subform controls, multiple subforms
loaded at the same time, and not unloading when the user moves to another tab.  I went with JIT
subforms with this form because it was taking a looooong time to load.  Now it loads instantly,
however each additional tab, ONCE CLICKED ON, keeps its subform loaded.

I have been doing this exact kind of thing (JIT subforms on tabs of a tab control) since the late
90s.  Support for it is embedded in my framework.  I find a tab an efficient paradigm for handling
multiple subforms.  I can unload them if I want, and leave them loaded when I need.

Makes sense to me!