[dba-VB] C# publish project

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Apr 19 16:10:29 CDT 2010

Hi John

I use ClickOnce at a client and it works great. Look up the thread ClickOnce from 2008-10-10.

You are right, it asks only one question - that is if you (the user) want to install this software (update). That's the one click. Yes or No.
That said, at the first install more clicks may be requested if the local .Net isn't up to the level you (the developer) has programmed for.

It's installed in the user's private folder and the system folders and creates a shortcut to launch the app. Nothing to adjust, nothing to fail.
What it does, however, is to install a shortcut which first checks for a new version, then launch the app.

The easy method is to install IIS somewhere with a Publish folder that the shortcut checks, and for which initially a URL is forwarded to the potential users.
Whenever a new version of the app is ready, you ask VS to publish it. Then VS packs the app and its dependencies and rewrite the publish folder - most likely via FTP but that's your choice.
The next time the user fires the shortcut and click Yes, your update will be installed. It has never failed for me.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 19-04-2010 22:04 >>>
I am going to have to publish my C# project for school, that is one of the requirements.  The
OneClick looks very basic, it doesn't appear to even ask where to install.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using this?  How does it work?  Can it ask the user where to
install?  Stuff like that.