[dba-VB] hosting a website in-house

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 10:38:27 CDT 2010

Basically the answer is 'Easy', but possibly 'Insane' as well :)  There's
the usual learning curve.  I've only used IIS as my sites have been .NET.

Do you have a fixed IP address?  If not, you'll have to deal with the
possibility that your IP will change from time to time.

You will also have to think about security - I'd be leery of running a
website on my main development machine...  Once you've got a site exposed to
the wild, naughty people will be interested.  That said, I've been running a
site using .NET login security for a year or so with no problems.

Doug