[dba-VB] hosting a website in-house

Hans-Christian Andersen ha at phulse.com
Thu Apr 29 12:19:15 CDT 2010

>From a pure technical point of view, you only have 3 main problems to be
concerned about when running a site from home.

1. A typical internet connection for personal or small business use has poor
upload bandwidth and a higher latency. Run a speed test and you'll probably
see that your download speeds are up in the megabits, while upload is a
paltry 128-256 kbps. If this is just for small sites, that is fine. Just
don't expect it to handle high traffic loads and bear in mind that this will
start to eat into the bandwidth for your own internet usage.

2. Your internet connection probably changes IP addresses periodically. This
isn't a huge issue. Using a service like dnsomatic.com, you could configure
your router (if it supports that) or use dhclient or similar daemon/client
application to update your DNS when your IP address changes. dnsomatic works
with dyndns and zoneedit and more, so that's quite neat. Typically your ip
adderss only changes once every few months and you may have a few minutes or
less of downtime while the new IP address propogates.

3. Security. I think the first line of defense and most important thing to
do is to put your server in a walled garden. So, put the server behind it's
own router on a separate network. This way, if you do suffer a security
breach, those hackers don't have access to the rest of the machines in your
LAN. Secondly, it can be a hassle having to maintain yet another server
against the nasty background internet traffic on your own, but this need not
be a big issue, if you just make sure to configure things right the first
time around. I assume you will probably use Windows, but in my case, I have
an Ubuntu server deployed even without a hardware firewall in front of it. I
keep software patches up-to-date and have a daemon (fail2ban) that routinely
checks various logs for repeated brute force logins and other nasty things
and bans that IP address for an hour. This has been pretty effective at
stopping hackers, script kiddies and scripted attacks from mindless zombies.
Make sure you restrict any services that don't need to be exposed to only
your IP address. Use a VPN if you want a way of accessing it from outside
your green zone.

All in all, I've been doing this myself and it's definitely doable - not
insane. But make sure you have a plan B, in case you suddenly find yourself
in a situation where you quickly need to move it somewhere with a fatter
pipe.

Hans-Christian
Software Developer, UK

tel: +44 (0)782 894 5456