[dba-VB] hosting a website in-house

Doug Murphy dw-murphy at cox.net
Thu Apr 29 17:18:06 CDT 2010

My point exactly.

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Stuart McLachlan
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:14 PM
To: Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues.
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] hosting a website in-house

I agree wholeheartedly

But look at the cost of basic hosting packages and trade that off against
(roughly in order of
priority):

1. your additional time to administer web and mail servers and especially to
keep them fully patched and up to date.

2. the additional security risks in exposing your systems to the public

3. the additional demand on your limited bandwidth ( not just from website
hits, but from the continuous probes you will be getting on your web and
mail servers).  At the moment, your mail provider is probably blocking a lot
of spam from ever getting to colby.com - once you are runnning your own mail
server, you will have to deal with it all.

4.  the cost of using your resources (power, disk space, cpu cycles) - you
may think it negligible, but wait until your domain gets hit by a spam flood
:-(

It just doesn't make sense!!

OK maybe I'm biased since we have recently set up http://www.pngconnect.com
:-)