[dba-VB] WinForms: What is the best event for custom drawing ona leftmost cell of DataGridView

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Thu Dec 2 06:22:18 CST 2010

Hi Gustav --

No, I didn't turn it into a generic custom control.
That coding (which I have put in a class library) is used within a custom
control (UserControl) with a custom business functionality.
I do not develop generic custom controls.
But I do develop applications' UI using custom controls - WinForm (with a
TabControl, with TableLayout and/or Splitter controls) are used just as a
"frame" to put custom user controls in.
That way happens to be here the most effective development approach in
context of constantly changing customers' requirements.

Recap:

1. I do put generic functionality in class libraries.
2. I do not develop generic custom controls.
3. I do "religiously" try to keep UI blocks' custom functionality within
dedicated custom controls.
4. I do use "copy&paste" these days when I do not expect that a generic
functionality will be used in more than three-four cases but even if I
expect it will, I'm often "procrastinating" to develop a generic solution
until such a generic functionality will be really needed to reuse here and
to save quite a few time for further development and support...