[dba-VB] Browser based database

Eric Barro ebarro at roadrunner.com
Mon Dec 13 00:45:47 CST 2010

John,

ASP.NET uses either C# or VB.NET as the underlying development language. Of
course there are other technologies involved such as Javascript, HMTL, CSS
etc.

There's no way to convert a WinForm application to a web app with one click
of a button. You'd have to recreate your WinForm in ASP.NET using the
built-in .NET equivalent controls. The good thing is that they are one and
the same type of control on the web app (ie TextBox in WinForms is still
TextBox on a web app).

If you programmed your business logic in separate classes and you refrained
from directly referencing controls in the methods then you should be fine
and you should be able to use most of your code in a web app.

The main things you will need to deal with in a web app such as ASP.NET are
the following:

1. Session variables - this is one of the ways you can pass data back and
forth from one page to the next since web apps are stateless apps and there
is no "automatic way" of "remembering" data from one page to the next.
2. Postback events - when a user clicks a button on a WinForm all you need
to do is trap for the click event. On a web app you need to be aware of when
postbacks (basically trips to the server) occur so that you can properly
trap events or intercept them.
3. Server side versus client side events - this is probably the hardest
concept to grasp for most beginning web app developers.
4. Client side scripting - When it's done and said, all ASP.NET does really
is render the page in HTML and handle the events using Javascript. You will
need to get your feet wet learning Javascript as well. Fortunately, the
syntax is based on C but variables and objects are not strongly-typed.

--Eric