[dba-VB] How unique are SQL Server error numbers?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jan 21 10:49:59 CST 2010

David,

I have built up a library of stored procedures that I have, up to this point, executed manually or
in another stored procedure.

Being a programmer at heart, then next logical step is to execute these SPs from a C# program at the
click of a button.  That is what I am up to now.

I am breaking the stored procedures down now that I can control them from C#.  Where before I might

Make a table
Create a cover query in a source table.
Append data from the source into the new table
Create a couple of indexes in the new table

I would do all of the above in a single stored procedure.  I now want to be able to do each of these
steps individually and know back in C# what happened.  Perhaps the make table failed for some
reason.  Creating the cover index on the source failed, but it failed because the index already
exists.  Appending data from source to destination worked, but how many records went?  Etc.

Having a real programming environment from which to cause these to happen and log the results is a
HUGE step up from what I was capable of directly in TSQL.  I view it as the best of both worlds.