[dba-VB] C# - Cleanup

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jul 28 18:41:54 CDT 2010

I have been reading up on the proper way to cleanup unmanaged code.  Basically what this entails is
inheriting CriticalFinalizerObject and IDisposable, and then adding stuff to the class.  The
finalizer is used to dispose of unmanaged ubjects "deterministically", IOW when I say to, not when
the garbage collector decides to.

This becomes an issue when you open a lot of connections.  The garbage collector does not understand
that the connections exist and so performs it's cleanup when it gets around to it.

At least that is what I am understanding.  Doing a massive rewrite to add this finalizer code to all
my classes that use such code has dropped my errors DRASTICALLY!

The code looks like this:

         #region Dispose

         ~clsSPAccuzipExportTo()
         {
             Dispose(true);
         }
         public void Close()
         {
             Dispose(true);
             // This object will be cleaned up by the Dispose method.
             // Therefore, you should call GC.SupressFinalize to
             // take this object off the finalization queue
             // and prevent finalization code for this object
             // from executing a second time.
             GC.SuppressFinalize(this);
         }
         // Implement IDisposable.
         // Do not make this method virtual.
         // A derived class should not be able to override this method.
         public void Dispose()
         {
             Dispose(true);
             // This object will be cleaned up by the Dispose method.
             // Therefore, you should call GC.SupressFinalize to
             // take this object off the finalization queue
             // and prevent finalization code for this object
             // from executing a second time.
             GC.SuppressFinalize(this);
         }
         // Dispose(bool disposing) executes in two distinct scenarios.
         // If disposing equals true, the method has been called directly
         // or indirectly by a user's code. Managed and unmanaged resources
         // can be disposed.
         // If disposing equals false, the method has been called by the
         // runtime from inside the finalizer and you should not reference
         // other objects. Only unmanaged resources can be disposed.
         private void Dispose(bool disposing)
         {
             // Check to see if Dispose has already been called.
             if (!this.disposed)
             {
                 // If disposing equals true, dispose all managed
                 // and unmanaged resources.
                 if (disposing)
                 {
                     if (mCnn != null)