[dba-VB] Multi-project solution

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jun 11 22:15:37 CDT 2010

Michael,

It's not so much the using / references as having a copy of all of the properties in each project.

I originally developed the code directly on the server.  I used remote desktop to log in, it was
just me, everything is "fine".  Then I hired a fine fella to help me, and started trying to get
organized.  Set up a workstation for him, started getting the whole thing running from the
workstation.

Now the code running from either workstation takes about 10 times as long to compile ( a couple of
seconds directly on the server... that long for EACH PROJECT on either workstation.  You can
actually watch it compile project by project.  That isn't huge, it just takes 15 or 20 seconds to do
a compile now instead of 2 or 3.  However...

Debug takes about a second or two PER STEP on the workstations.  No se por que.  However when I
Google that I get a TON of hits.  With a TON of DIFFERENT "go into the project / properties /
somespecifictab and look for...".  Well guess what, I now have a half dozen projects to do this with.

That SUCKS!  I haven't found the fix, but I have spent a TON of time going in time after time,
project after project searching through the properties stuff to see if I have the specific fix that
worked for developer XYZ.

It is waaaay more than just a reference and a using...

I can see how projects would be cool if they are going to be pieces of many different solutions,
however mine aren't, they are just an organizational tool for my single solution.  And yes, they
make organization neat however there is a rather large price IMHO.