[dba-VB] Multi-project solution

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jun 11 23:43:00 CDT 2010

There are no projects that are stable.  I just hired a fella to work with me because I have so much
dev to do I couldn't do it all myself.

The version control system repository is on the server because the server has mongo raid 6 arrays
with room and redundancy.  I never really realized that things would slow down so much when accessed
from workstations because I never developed this way until now.

The solution code all operates against the server, IOW it causes execution of stored procedures that
perform massive table operations on the server.  Likewise the files imported / exported are stored
on the server because... there is a massive RAID 6 array with storage and redundancy.  Not to
mention that the server itself has massive memory etc.  That is only getting more so in the future.
  My server is about to go to a truly massive (to me) system with 16-24 cores and 32G-64G of RAM.

So I set it all up to just be on the server and I used remote desktop to get in and work.  That
really isn't optimum having the actual application EXECUTE on the server, or for that matter to have
two people actively developing code on the server -  that is what workstations are for. But the
server is the most powerful machine in house by far so storage and SQL Server processing is and will
continue to execute there.

It isn't clear why the debug stepping is so slow, however it is certainly not unique to me.  I
Googled it and found just dozens of threads on dozens of sites regarding this issue.  It also isn't
clear that Projects are the reason per se for the slow debug stuff.

As long as everything works, using many projects is not too big an issue but when you start
repeatedly searching through all of the project properties dialogs it becomes tedious.