[dba-VB] Recent Discussion from MS on VB.Net and C# in VS 2010

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 12:58:58 CDT 2010

Hang on, there  is a word I have never heard before....anagnorisis...

Hmm, cool word. I will try to remember that.

I have to say that I do agree with him. I can recall back in the Cobol days
that if you had an error early on, the compile gaily marched on spewing out
thousands of cascading "false-positive" errors.  When I looked at the
examples on that NetCobol you posted I had to smile and say "..why on earth
would I want to go back to that?..."

Drews analogy is pretty accurate from what I can see, particulary the part
of about the curly braces emcompassing (and thus defining) the borders of
code-structure.  But what structure?  All curly braces look alike.

The VBA compiler stops with a very-near exact reason for the non-compilation
and, in most case - not all, a reasonable explanation of why.

I am not agueing against C# or any other language but rather in the
supposition being put forward directly and indirectly that somehow it is a
"better" platform for implementing code. Remember Pascal - I started on that
back in Borland days.  That went by the board.  There is no earthly reason
why I would need to do the C#.net route in preference to the VBA.net route
with ONE EXCEPTION and that is the one put forward by William where he
stated, inter alia, that there was MORE code examples for plagarism.  Most
programmers rely upon examples of others to learn and move forward and code
examples are the life blood of learning.

I would be interested to see how Charlotte responds.

Max