[dba-VB] Recent Discussion from MS on VB.Net and C# in VS 2010

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Mar 16 13:44:43 CDT 2010

Ok, agree, agree, agree, huh?  I never said that it shouldn't have a
syntax.  I said that I don't see how one method is easier, or clearer
then another.  (Admittedly, I'm really comparing C to VB, not C# to
VB.Net.....)

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:06 AM
To: Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues.
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] Recent Discussion from MS on VB.Net and C# in VS
2010

Drew,

I don't make the rules, I learn the rules and I play by them

The rules say that the compiler needs to be able to know where a block
of code starts and stops in
order to correctly execute the entire group.  You have done this all of
your programming life.

If (Some condition) THEN (begins the block of code)

  Do something
  Do something else
  Do some third thing
ELSE (ends that block of code
  Do some other thing
  so something else
End else (ends the block of code)

You have been telling the compiler where to start and stop blocks of
code since you wrote your first
line of code.

Each language has its own syntax for doing that but it always exists,
and it is not going away.