[dba-VB] Goin' for the (browser based) gold

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Mar 17 10:30:45 CDT 2010

I can do that.  I am looking more toward something that runs directly on their computer, takes the
list, shovels it across the internet, processes the data and hands back a count.  They are pretty
much just looking for something like:

Zip Cnt	:	Household Count	:	Population
56		127,435			437,329

Thus if I can devise a program that runs on their machine, talks to my servers, feeds a zip list
across to my server, receives these counts back and displays them I am gold.  This would allow me to
potentially get rid of a bunch of stuff on my end.  ATM I have to:

1) Create a working directory using the order number
2) Save the spreadsheet they send me into that directory
3) Copy a template database to the name of the order (not strictly required but what I am doing)
4) Import the data into that order database
5) Run the queries and get the counts
6) Paste the numbers into email and send the email.

This whole thing could be shrunk down to (on my end):

1) Receive a stream of zips and save to a standard database.
2) Run the queries and send back the numbers

No more manual labor (on my end), no order directories, no order databases, no email.

I am thinking a "service" as Shamil suggested, talking to a C#.Net program running on their computer.

They would be THRILLED with this.