[dba-VB] Parallelism

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sat May 22 18:28:55 CDT 2010

Hi Jim --

Yes, "fork", but before that was IBM360, which has had special hardware and
operation system software to handle Input/Output channels, multiplexing
console input etc. - and when that special hardware has been working for
input/output CPU was idle, and could have been used by other application
processes - AFAIKR even PL/1 has had some function calls to start and handle
long running "independent" threads within a running process/task, but
starting an independent task that wasn't possible on application programs
level (?) for IBM360 MFT and MVT OSes, and in mid-1970-ies, the next IBM OS,
MVS, has got multi-processor systems support they say: well that all was
very expensive that times of course and not broadly available as nowadays
multi-core mass market computer systems but all nowadays Parallelism and
Multi-Threading concepts were mainly developed during that "ancient" times:
and then came MS and has been keeping us in "preemptive multitasking"
"straitjacket" for almost 20 years - was that good, bad, necessary and
inevitable MS-driven "moderation and control" for technology mass market to
mature?...

Thank you.

-- Shamil