[dba-VB] Installing VS2010 on a PC with VS2008 SP1

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Mon Sep 20 09:26:08 CDT 2010

Hi Gustav --

<<<
As for having VS running in the cloud, I think that
is a bit optimistic even for a "not that far future" ...

Do you mean it will be quite expensive for a long time or ... ?

One of my customers does use several hosted WinXp and Win7 environments as
well as hosted ASP.NET (SOAP) web services to run a set of related desktop
and Web Services apps I have written for them - before that they have had 8
computers in the offices working with that apps. Yes, they have good
business and they can afford hosting on Win systems, and hey don't need that
much disk space as VS needs - so their hosting plans are not that expensive
for them...

<<<
if you need to pass firewalls - the free version of
LogMeIn to control my main workstation.

Yes, that could be an option - I have a broadband Internet connection but my
home/office network is behind firewalls...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

P.S. The following XenClinet short video looks amazing - it's so
user-friendly. Also as an advanced feature one can start MS Word from their
business VM (Win7) to run within their home VM (WinXP)

http://www.citrix.com/tv/#videos/2045