[dba-VB] Windows Phone 7.5 Mango is here...

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Dec 2 17:42:26 CST 2011

Hi Gustav --

Thank you for your notes and links - I have got a few other ones (see P.S.), which allowed me to start WP7 test development
I have already got all the development stuff installed and I can create WP7 solutions, build and run them in emulation mode on my PC...

So we are just two here - happy owners on Windows Phone 7/7.5?
Anybody else?

BTW, I have given my WP7.5 to play to my son (he is 10+ years old) and to compare to his Samsung Fit with Android 2.x - and my son wasn't impressed by my WP at all :( (:)
Yes, MS has to do quite a lot on this "frontline" to get kids and teens "back to Windows (Phones)".
"Angry Birds", "Doodle Jump" and many other popular games are free for Android - very important option for kids.
Even with 1-3USD price for "Angry Birds" and "Doodle Jump" MS risks to miss WP market for children...

Have you got registered on

Windows Phone Development Registration page
http://create.msdn.com/en-US/ ?

I'm considering registering there if it will give some additional information on WP7, if not, then I will stay unregistered till I'll get something ready to publish on that site. Registration is 99USD/year.

I'm also interested will WP7.5 Internet Tethering work here in Russia with my mobile provider or not (http://www.winrumors.com/windows-phone-7-5-internet-tethering-feature-only-available-on-new-devices/) - they say this feature is opened/blocked by mobile operators. I have mobile USB modem which I use with my laptop when on the road or outside of my broadband Internet connection - if WP7 Internet Tethering will be available here then I will use it instead of USB modem...

As for Northwind.WP7 - I do not plan to make it having "fancy graphics" interface - I  plan to use the basic Silverlight controls for this interface - the main challenges I see currently are:

- 1) to make it working and looking well in both portrait and landscape layouts;
- 2) to simulate combo-box  selection by using Silverlight list control - as e.g. it's done in WP7 "Alarm clock" application when selecting date or time - have you seen any samples presenting this UI development technique?
- 3) to make reports by using grid controls hosting other controls;

And I do not plan to have any backend communication for the first version of Northwind.WP7  - I'm going to just put all the sample data into resources, which will be compiled and deployed together with application...

We will see - as I noted previously I'd currently setting deadline for this project as 6 months as I have quite some other work to do and as WP7 "learning curve" promise to be rather steep..

P.S. Some WP7 resources

Windows Phone Development - fundamential concepts
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff626521(v=vs.92).aspx

Windows Phone Development
http://create.msdn.com/en-us/home/getting_started

Silverlight QuickStart