[dba-VB] Using SQL Server SMO with .Net

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Dec 3 22:53:28 CST 2011

I am trying to port some pre-written code from my home office to my client where I am setting up to
use VS 2010.  We use SMO heavily here at my office, but I discovered that SMO is not part of the
framework.  Ifyou use SMO this is the page that discuses getting a SQL Server 2008 R2 Feature pack
which contains standalone stuff including SMO.  This apparently has to be installed on each
workstation running VisualStudio so that you can reference the SMO in your project references.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=16978

It appears that they break out a whole bunch of things individually so that you download just a
piece you are interested in.  SMO is about 3/4 of the way down a very long page of these things.

It is precisely things like this that I assume need to go in a source controlled References (my
directory name) project so that they can just be downloaded, though in this case it is an MSI and
thus has to be installed.  I have no clue how bug fixes get applied in cases like this.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it