[dba-VB] Access - link to SQL database -Database not showing

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jan 7 23:01:31 CST 2011

I have installed SQL Server 2005 on a (remote) Windows 2000 server machine at the client.  From my
workstation at the client I then open SQL Server MSExpress 2005 and I can see that SQL Server
Express instance and two databases that I created on that SQL Server Express instance.

 From Access I try to link to a table in one of those databases.  When I get to the wizard page
where I am allowed to change the default database, I cannot see either of the two databases that I
need to get at, only the master, msdb and tempdb.

I was having a problem where I could not connect and had to open the surface configuration and allow
remote connections.  I selected TCP AND named pipes.  That allowed MSE to see that server as well as
Access to see that server, but it does not yet allow me to see the actual database of interest.

Any clue why?  I have done this before here at my office and I could always see the databases.

TIA,