[dba-VB] c# - Creating and using a shared module

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Fri Mar 11 11:52:31 CST 2011

Hi John --

<<<
Any suggestions, tips and tricks, warnings, how to etc.?

Just do it! :)

I mean if you managed to handle MS Access library databases then handling
.NET class libraries would be a "breeze" work for you.

Create class library project - you can keep it within its own solution
having main (console) project of that solution as a (unit) test one.
Put all three solutions - two application ones and class library one in
subfolders of the same root folder. (You can do it differently but this is
how it's done usually AFAIK)
Add existing class library project to application solutions.
Reference class library projects from application projects.
if you use VS2008 and you have a good PC with plenty of memory (and you have
one don't you?) then you can keep all three solutions open in three
instances of VS2008.
Just keep tack from which solution you have made class library code changes
last time - when you'll switch to the other solution and if you have the
same source code file opened in it you'll get a message  like that "Source
file changed - would you like to reload it?" - reply  yes...

Use SVN or Mercurial for source code control. Do commit source code changes
to the source code repository from time to time...

I have 58 projects in one of the solutions here - that results in more than
5 apps and quite some class libs compiled and built - AFAIK folks do have
more than hundred projects within solutions sometimes...