[dba-VB] Most useful droid apps

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Mar 19 21:01:04 CDT 2011

I am trying various tethering solutions.  My laptop is vista, my ip range is 192.168.122.x.

I got WiFi Tether to work, but only without encryption.  I was getting about 1.5 mbit down and .5
mbit up.

As soon as I turned on encryption I was unable to set up the laptop password to match (that was the
only thing that changed).  No encryption is unacceptable to me as I would only really use this in
public places, exactly where you would most want encryption.

I tried barnacle.  That one just didn't work at all.

I am now trying PDANet which is a USB tether.  Since the PC is tied to the phone by a usb,
encryption seems to be unnecessary?  Unfortunately this one is not working either.  The PDANet
desktop app says it is connected and the droid pdanet app says it is connected but the PC just can't
see the internet.  I can't ping anything etc.

Any suggestions for this beast?