[dba-VB] Setting up a test VM

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon May 23 11:50:35 CDT 2011

There really is no way to 'simulate' an 'external client', on a home
router.  Your internet connection is coming in one port, and is going
through one set of rules.  So unless that router is VERY programmable,
then the best you can do, as far as I can think of, is to create a
routed connection in from another subnet.

Of course, the EASIEST way to do what you are trying to do, is just go
out and buy an aircard (a usb device that connects to the internet), or,
if you can 'share' your phone's internet connection, you can use that as
an external connection.  And setup your VM to ACTUALLY use an internet
connection other than your normal ISP.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 9:51 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving; VBA
Subject: [dba-VB] Setting up a test VM

Using a VM running on my server, I want to emulate as closely as
possible a workstation running out
on the internet connecting in to my server over Hamachi.  I have the VM
running but it was part of
my workgroup.  I changed the workgroup name for the VM but I am still
able to access it remote
desktop by the machine name which means that very likely the router is
using stored info and
assigning the VM an IP.  I really wanted to isolate it as much as I can
from my internal network.

I tried assigning the machine an entirely different IP range
(192.168.122.x instead of 192.168.1.x)
but when I did that it appears that hamachi instantly loses it's tunnel
through the firewall.

Any suggestions for how to go about making this thing isolated?