[dba-VB] Which version of Visual Studio

newsgrps newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Sun Nov 13 20:00:43 CST 2011

Ok - Here goes for my first post to this group.

I currently have Visual Studio 2005 Professional installed which I
have done some playing around on.  I know this is getting a little
old (like me).  I am wanting to get more familiar with dot net and
application development.

Should I continue to use this to get more familiar with the dot net
environment or should I get a later version (if so which one?).  What
are the advantages/disadvantages of each approach (apart from cost
which is a big disincentive).  The Express Visual Studio 2010
products don't seem to have enough features (for example the one dot
net web application I do support is in vb.net but VS 2010 Express
documentation doesn't seem to indicate that vb.net is included).

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand