[dba-VB] Hyper-V VM oddness

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Nov 22 21:05:24 CST 2011

I decided to try moving my VMs to Azul server, my "big" server.  I figured with 16 cores and 64 gigs
it could handle the load.  The sole purpose of one of the VMs is to host a third party application.
  When this app is running the VM says that the single core I assign to it is pegged, 100%
utilization.  However none of the host machine cores shows any significant usage, and the total
server usage bounces between 0 and 1%.

So I'm wondering what the heck is going on?  The application on the dedicated VM server was
processing about 8-9 million records per hour on a 3.5 GHz AMD quad core, and on that host machine
one of the cores would appear to be maxed out and the server would say 25% usage.  On the mongo
server the CPUs are 2 GHz 8 core and no core says it is busy and I'm only getting about 4 million
records / hour.  I expected one core to max and the total to say 1/16th total usage.

Any ideas why this VM says it is using 100% of its virtual CPU but the host server says it is not
busy at all?

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it