[dba-VB] OT: MS Office 2010 / MS SharePoint 2010 development system box requirements - please advise

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Nov 27 15:27:44 CST 2011

Hi All --

I'm looking to setup a system box here for MS Office 2010 / MS SharePoint 2010 development to be able to run something like the following "virtual" development environment:

2010 Information Worker Demonstration and Evaluation Virtual Machine (SP1)
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27417

AFAIU that should better be  Intel i7 powered system with 8GB RAM etc, with Hyper-V support running  64 bit Windows 2008 R2 Server Standard Edition at least. Correct?

Although I do not have that much development which needs such a computing power fully loaded all the time so I also wanted to share that system between my family members who all have their own laptops etc. of different types.

Is that correct assumption/understanding that Hyper-V enabled Intel i7 Windows Server 2008 R2 system would also be a good host running several VMs accessible via MS Windows Remote Desktops within my home/office network?

I'm also considering an option of "hobo-ing" St.Petersburg city with my laptop and accessing that my "mighty" system via MS Windows Remote Desktop via Internet - I have a broadband access to Internet from my home so my running system should be available from outside using MS Windows Remote Desktop if it has a fixed IP address?...

Please advise what are system box requirements for my development environment I mentioned above...

Thank you.

-- Shamil