[dba-VB] C# Scope

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Nov 5 13:57:28 CDT 2011

Shamil,

Either way it can't be done since RunState is a class that can potentially be needed by the
grandparent as well as the parent.  I.e. Grandparent and parent (in my current system) each actually
do have their own Runstate.  In fact the entire objective of building the RunState class was to have
a common encapsulated functionality to program against for any process that can be started and
stopped.  Grandparent starts / stops and it starts / stops the parent.

I am using a Manager / supervisor metaphor in the system.  the form has three "stages", any stage
can be independently running, and every stage has its own check box to allow me to start / stop it.
  Each stage also has its own status control for writing stage status stuff.

Each Supervisor has jobs, and every job has to go through all three stages of processing.  Thus the
form starts the manager and the manager looks for supervisors ready to start any of the stages.  Etc.

So I have these RunStates to allow everything to be told to start and stop and communicate what
state they are in.

I can't embed the runstate into a lib with any of these other classes or I lose the encapsulation of
the RunState class.

I actually have the RunState class out in a CommonObjects class lib and the manager and supervisor
classes in the actual application.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away