[dba-VB] Having nothing better to do (yea right)

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Oct 1 14:42:08 CDT 2011

I installed Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 on my "new" laptop, including hooking up to source control.
  I pulled the main client projects into 2008 and then into 2010, whereupon 2010 insisted on
converting the  2008 to 2010.  It then occurred to me that if I saved it to source control I would
be screwing up the 2008 code (which is the production version).

I guess I need to store 2010 out as a new version, just to play with.  We have much experience in VS
2008 but I have none in 2010 though Paul does.

I also downloaded the XNA game studio 4.0 for VS 2010.  I have been hankering for years to re-write
the old Empire game from scratch in a modern environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Empire_(video_game)

I have played that game since the late 80s and amazingly, it still runs under Windows 2007.  It was
the grandpappy of most modern strategy war games and I play it to this day against the computer.
Wouldn't it be cool to do it in C#, classes, sql server express as a data store, multi-player over
the internet?

I have only ever played it against another live person one time, when I played against my uncle on
his Mac.  I am convinced I am a better player than he, but he wiped the floor with me because, I
believe, the rules (strategy tables) between the mac version and the pc version were sufficiently
different.  Playing against another person consisted of physically exchanging the computer between
turns, very crude.

Now days we could play against each other on different continents.

Having nothing better to do...

Colby Consulting