[dba-VB] Inheritance and derived methods

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Oct 17 11:53:01 CDT 2011

I have three supervisor classes.  A ton of the code in each supervisor is common so I am refactoring
the code to use inheritance.  All that is cool until...

I have a thread that each supervisor has.  It is mtStart which starts a thread and that thread calls
mStart.  mtStart is literally identical in all three supervisors but mStart is not, each supervisor
does a different job.

So I am saying we have the thread itself in the base class and the mtStart in the base class but
mStart in the derived class.  But (to my knowledge) the base class cannot call mStart in the derived
class.  So how do I create the thread object in the base but the code run by the thread in the
derived class?

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it