[dba-VB] Actually a C# Question

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Feb 6 10:21:13 CST 2012

Hi Arthur,

I'm back in half an hour as promised:

To get your NorthwindNET sample database and sample ADO.NET EF application up&running with your MS SQL 2008 R2 database server you can do the following:

1. Create MS SQL 2008 R2 NorthwindNET empty database

2. Go to
http://northwind.codeplex.com/releases/view/60382

and download

NorthwindNET DB MS SQL 2008 R2 Backup

or directly download

http://northwind.codeplex.com/releases/view/60382#DownloadId=339047

3. You'll get NorthwindNET_SQL2008R2.zip downloaded. Unzip it, and use unzipped NorthwindNET_SQL2008R2.bak to restore NorthwindNET database over your empty NorthwindNET database created on step 1.

4. Download NorthwindNETSampleApps_Setup.zip

from http://northwind.codeplex.com/releases/view/60382

or directly from http://northwind.codeplex.com/releases/view/60382#DownloadId=205449

5. Unzip NorthwindNETSampleApps_Setup.zip into NorthwindNETSampleApps_Setup.exe (INNO-Setup Setup)
and run that unzipped INNO-Setup setup. When setup starts on second setup dialog
change target setup folder to any one you'd like to have instead of default one, proposed by setup.

6. Look at created setup files, find Northwind.NET.EDM.FE.exe.config file, open it in a text editor and edit string

Data Source=NAPOLI\SQLEXPRESS

into

Data Source={{Your MS SQL 2008 R2 Server name}}

6. Run Northwind.NET.EDM.FE.exe

7. Enjoy :)

---
--- How to successfully build and run sample solutions
---

1. In the source solutions folders (the are several ones there) look for app.config files and again edit

Data Source = {{Something}}

Data Source={{Your MS SQL 2008 R2 Server name}}

2. Compile, build and run sample solutions

Basically it's all simple when you've got accustomed to work with VS 2010 solutions but it will probably take some time from you as you're still learning this stuff...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

P.S. There are some Readme.!st files and folders within sample app and sample solutions folders - look for them and read them - they will give some more explanations...