[dba-VB] VS 2010 C# Referencing Ionic.Zip

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Thu Feb 9 01:46:40 CST 2012

Hi JC,

Don't we all hate it when stuff like this happens!

Subject: [dba-VB] VS 2010 C# Referencing Ionic.Zip

I use the Ionic.Zip library to zip files up.  We have consistently had
issues making references like this work across all of our projects, to
the point where we created a References directory under the Projects
directory and placed all of the DLLs into that for source control.  This
allows us to "pull" these files and get the latest versions, and then
any project references that same physical file.

>>> I'm not sure about your process above.
>>> What I generally do with 3rd party dll's is add the ref and then set
the 'Copy Local' property to true. That way the project will only use
the version I let it use.  This way it gets copied to bin when building.

I am still having a problem with this Ionic.Zip.Dll file.  I reference
it.  The reference does not give the "broken" icon.  Using works just
fine.  But when the line of code hits the call into the function where
it would actually create a variable, it stops and complains that the DLL
file cannot be found.

>>> DO you have error handlers?
>>> What's the error?
>>> I assume you have tried setting watches on the variable?
>>> Can you set a break point?

I am a bit confused for several reasons.  First why is it stopping on
the function call rather than down in the function itself where the zip
object is dimensioned?  Second why is it complaining at all when the
rest of the program apparently thinks things are fine?  No compile
errors, no using complaints no references complaints.

>>> Error bubbling up?
>>> Confusion about versions?
>>> Is the dll a COM or .net dll?
>>> You say there are no compile errors, what about warnings?
>>> Is the code in a separate project?  Is it getting compiled/built
before you calling code or after?

Weird!  I have seen places where the using collection in the project
says the thing (suddenly) cannot be found, and I have to delete and
re-reference the object, but in this case there is just no indication
anywhere that there is a problem until we hit the function call to the
function inside of which I do the compression stuff.

>>> IIRC I believe this is because of garbage collection. Never been a
problem for me yet...

Any ideas?

>>> Maybe.
HTH