[dba-VB] ADO.NET datasets - speed test

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Feb 26 07:02:19 CST 2012

Hi Shamil

I started with VS2005, and somehow I at once noticed the tableadapters and datatables and didn't look back ...

I haven't had use for n-tier systems nor DALs, so I haven't worked with these. Today I think the Entity Framework is the most promising - and web services for remote apps.

But currently I'm busy with other tasks so I haven't the time I wish I had for going deeper into this and the datasets.

/gustav

>>> Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru> 26-02-12 11:57 >>>
Hi Gustav --

> That looks good. But I have nothing to compare with - I've never used OleDbCommand.
Lucky man! :)
I seems to have started to develop using VS a bit earlier than yourself when using ADO.NET Datasets especially  in ASP.NET applications was a kind of "bad practice" because of datasets "heavy weight" comparing to OleDbDataReader/SqlDataReader, . That was based on real experts' opinions. (BTW, have a look at DNN sources they use SqlCommand and SqlDataReader quite a lot, till nowadays).

Do you also use Dataset Project property of datasets, which I have mentioned here recently?

The latter is becoming a real "life saver" for my current customer project having several MS Access lookup backends and one main backend keeping consolidated data from several reports imported from external sources..

Thank you.

-- Shamil