[dba-VB] Process.Start(pathToExecute) won't start app twice

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jan 5 11:32:27 CST 2012

I am using System.Diagnostic.Process.Start to start an application, in this case an instance of an
Access application.  However it will only start the application once.  If I try and do it again, it
appears to do nothing, although I can see the icon for the existing instance in the task tray blink.
  This appears to be "by design" per the following comment:

If the process is already running, no additional process resource is started. Instead, the existing
process resource is reused and no new Process component is created. In such a case, instead of
returning a new Process component, Start returns null to the calling procedure.

Here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sxf2saat.aspx

However I need to start a second instance.  Does anyone know how to do that?  I am not finding
anything out there that discusses this.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it