[dba-VB] Visual Studio community edition

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:14:28 CST 2015

 >>It sounds like an excellent rig.

I hand built my Linux Mint desktop / server using a hex core AMD with 24
gigs RAM, and am about to bring up an 8 TB raid 5 storage on that
machine as well, to provide large redundant storage for all my stuff.  I
am trying to run MariaDB on that, which is installed and running but I
cannot get logged into.  Sigh.  I also want it to host all of my code
repositories, out on the RAID array when that is working.

 >>...but I am assuming you want merged functionality running across
both platforms...is this correct?

Uhhh... yes.  I think.

I got SVN Server running on the Linux box the other day.  I will be
trying to use it for Visual Studio, running on my laptop, which is ATM
my main dev machine.  I may also be using it for Eclipse running on the
Linux  Mint desktop / server which I will use to cross compile to Single
Board Computers (SBCs) such as the BeagleBone Black, Odroid-C1 (both of
which I have already) and Raspberry Pi 2 B+ (which I am about to order).

OTOH I also need to start learning / using GIT as well, so I may host my
own GIT on the Linux desktop / server.  Depending on how that goes, I
may well simply move to GIT.  This is all somewhat convoluted as some of
my projects are private, and GIT in the wild is free but only for public
projects, thus I would need to host my own GIT repository - assuming
that is free as well.  At the same time, I am starting to work on a
public team doing a game (in C++) on the Raspberry PI 2 so I also need
to be able to use the web based GIT repository used by that team.

  It is a reasonably powerful machine and will end up being the center
of my Linux SBC development universe.  All of those SBCs run Linux
exclusively so if I am going to go there (and that is my future focus)
then I pretty much have to make a pretty major switch.

Learn Linux, C++, tool chains, Eclipse IDE, cross compilation etc. Just
a lot to figure out.

I thought Visual Studio and C# was pretty major, which coming from
Microsoft Access it was.

John W. Colby