[dba-VS] Report Generator in VS

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Apr 5 03:21:01 CDT 2015

??Hi Charlotte

I was reluctant to spend money on expensive third-party report designers as VS comes with a quite capable reportdesigner.

The problem is to get started, because you instinctively assume it might behave just a little like your well-known designer in Access. But it doesn't; it is upside-down. However, there is a deep logic behind this, and when you grasp this, it is a wonderful designer. I have done some quite extensive reports generating hundreds of pages with pictures and critical formatting and met zero issues. But, as said, it is different.

These days, a lot of tutorials must exist out there. I have previously posted a link for a very good starting point. Sadly, it seems not to be updated, but the basics are still valid:

    http://gotreportviewer.com/

Also, don't miss Shamil's old Northwind.NET project which aimed at cloning the user experience 100%:

    http://northwind.codeplex.com

All reports - some created by me - were created with the native report designer of Visual Studio at zero cost.

These links could also be of value:

    ReportViewer Web Server and Windows Forms Controls

    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251771(v=vs.120).aspx

If you use SQL Server (including Express version, though with a few limitations), you can even choose to have the reports generated either at the database server or in Local Mode:

    Using the ASP.NET 2.0 ReportViewer in Local Mode
    http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15597/Using-the-ASP-NET-2-0-ReportViewer-in-Local-Mode

I haven't used this, so I can't tell how well it performs.

/gustav