[dba-VS] MS SQL Server Reporting Services Hosting Providers

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Aug 23 05:14:47 CDT 2015

Hi Shamil

I use a standard connection on port 1433 and ODBC to connect. From your network page on AWS you can control which IP addresses can gain access or select public access.

I haven't worked with Reporting Services on an SQL Server so I don't know about port requirements. Should be easy to find out, though.

If you wish to provide access to the reports only via a URL, you'll have to, I guess, either to have the PDF generated in advance and saved in a folder ready for download, or to have the web server of the URL to call the Reporting Service to generate the PDF and then offer it for download. The first method will be fast for the user, if the report has been generated; the second will allow for repeated calls, each time producing an updated report. In both cases I think HTTPS shouldn't raise a problem except, of course, that a trustworthy certificate must be purchased for the server. This is just thoughts - I haven't built a setup for this.

/gustav