[dba-VS] [AccessD] Visual Studio and source control

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 30 20:23:20 CST 2015

Hi Arthur:

My hardware is hardly fancy. Most of it has been built from parts and pieces acquired everywhere. I have traded for jobs...client's old servers...just upgrade the systems boot drive to SSDs, get some older RAM SIMMs (everyone wants DDR4 and 5) and the OS to Linux. If you want to go this route just hang around a "gamer" computer store as the serious gamers are always trading up. Governments and businesses are always flipping their desktops as soon as the lease expires and can be good buys. One small local company buys a lot or two of surplus equipment and then flogs them off for cheap...I just try to get there first and get the pick of the litter. One fellow just brought around his older (two year old) motherboard, fully loaded (power supply, memory, video card and a couple of small 500GB HDs)

My one big advantage is space. I have a full size basement. If I did not, I would trade to some friend who did have the appropriate space...maybe run the family up a Mine-Craft server or add someone to the ownCloud server? ;-) I only have one super server and the rest are in progress rebuilds.

Aside: If you go this route it might be worth considering an investment in an UPS or two. Note that power usage can get expensive but the newer computer motherboards will virtually go to sleep when not under load.

Jim