[AccessD] Access app for 24/7 usage?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Jul 8 04:33:46 CDT 2003

Hi Joe and Mark

> Addionally, I would suggest that you build the BE in MSDE / SQL Server.

>> IMO, for rock-solid reliability you should choose VB and install the EXE
>> as a Windows service. ..

I think everyone here, including Joe, are forgetting the
preconditions. Next suggestion would probably be that this tiny app
should run on mirrored high-end dual processor servers with raid 10
disk arrays with hot spares, backup power supplies and fallback
interconnection and backed by dual diesel powered UPSs - just in case.

Think about it. This app is not a vital part for the control center of
a nuclear plant, it is even not for logging emergency calls of a phone
system  - it is for capturing a log output or converting log files. In
other words: should this app, for whatever reason, halt, nothing will
happen. Restart (or recover) the system and it will continue as if
nothing had happened.

Jet since version 2.0 is probably one of the most stable outcomes from
Redmond. Thus, this system of Joe's could safely run on an old P/II
machine with 64 MB and Win98 or WinNT for months; if you add a self
rebooting routine to initiate Sunday night, it would probably run
"forever".
Create a mirror of the harddisk on a spare harddisk and keep this in a
safe place ready for exchange and you are all set.

/gustav