[AccessD] OT: email

jcolby at colbyconsulting.com jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jul 17 09:21:18 CDT 2003

The answer to the question is that I control these blacklists, i.e. I place
patterns (*ID.RU) as an example in my own personal blacklist config file.
It is a little drastic to disable all email coming from an entire domain,
but it turns out that spammers go out and get emails from such places
overseas.  I placed that specific one on my black list today.  I do no
business (directly) with anyone overseas so I can reasonably safely simply
refuse all email from Russia (sorry Shamil), Etc.  I can very safely refuse
emails from the big ISPs overseas who do pretty much nothing but host
spammers.

The email isn't destroyed, simply filtered into a spam basket.  I can scan
150 emails in a few seconds just before deleting to see if there are any
valid emails (NONE so far!!!).  That is a far better solution than simply
clicking on each one, or examining each on in my in mail basket.

There is no way to determine if an email address is a valid address.  If it
is in my blacklist it stays there until I decide it needs to be removed.
Without any blacklists, SpamAssasin will get about 80% of the spam.  With
them, the rate goes up.  MOST of the email patterns are actual existing or
old spam addresses.  Many I am sure no longer even exist.

Blacklists are just a tool.

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com