[AccessD] Update Query - Need to Speed It Up

Mark L. Breen subs at solution-providers.ie
Tue Jun 3 03:55:22 CDT 2003

Hello Rocky,

Here is a snipit of code I wrote a few years ago that appends default values
amongst other things.  All I can say is 'it works', it was A97 but as far as
I know it also works in A2K.

I know that you do not want to hear it, but I have terrible problems with
databases over 1M records.  You have to consider compacting and rebuilding
regularly, and I often got databases that would just go corrupt.  A backup
from yesterday evening sometimes does not cut it.  A one user, one machine
system may work fine, but that same db now has put 18 M records through over
three years on SQL 7 / MSDE 1.0 and it has never ever crashed and
performance it still tip top.  You can not agrue with that.

The dropping and re-creating is quick but consider the compact and rebuild
regularly.

On the other hand, it is much more fun that a little db with only a few
hundred records, even if you make more money on the small app.

Enjoy,

Mark

...snip

Set fld = tdf.CreateField(strFieldName)

fld.Type = intDataType

If intDataType = dbText Or intDataType = dbNumeric Then
    fld.Size = intDataSize
End If

If Right(fld.Name, 3) = "_ID" Then
    fld.Attributes = dbAutoIncrField