[AccessD] Normalisation

Roz Clarke roz.clarke at donnslaw.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 03:46:01 CST 2003

Hey all

I have a bit of a funny database spec for a call centre application (callers
ringing to register insurance claims).

The details taken from the customer cover a lot of different entities; the
caller, their insurance policy, their car, the accident, the third party,
the third party's car, the third party's insurance policy etc. My instinct
is to create a table for each distinct entity. However, they will all have
1:1 relationships as there is only one instance of each entity per claim
(the caller I would hold separate as we may handle more than one claim for
them). This is a fairly 'disposable' (i.e. expected to be used only in the
short term and never to be expanded) app. Would it be shockingly bad
behaviour just to stuff everything into one table??

Roz