[AccessD] Good Interface Examples

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 22 09:01:51 CDT 2003

MessageNo, it is more than that.  I know about the studies you refer to but
those refer specifically to printed material.  In the case of a monitor, it
turns out the reverse is true.  The resolution of the screen, the pixel turn
on time (electronics behind the image) and the size of the object being
assimilated by the eye and the brain all play a factor.  Printed material
usually has a very sharply defined "edge" between the dark and the light,
whereas with TV tube monitors, the waveform that defines the dot on the
screen causes the average intensity to be lower than might otherwise
expected.  In essence the "dot" is only fully turned on in the very center,
whereas the edges of the pixel are dimmer.

When taken together, it just doesn't work the same with monitors as it does
with print.  This (your study) may in fact be true again with the new LCD
displays since each pixel really is either on or off, and the entire pixel
is the same intensity across the whole.  In the meantime, I am poor and use
the older technology.  ;-)
John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com