[AccessD] was SQL Server queries - appending strings

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Feb 1 07:27:39 CST 2004

>An alternative to the other suggestions - which very quickly will turn your
job into a major project - you can connect to the server via ODBC.

And that is exactly what is going to happen.  There are enough reasons to
move the data store to SQL Server to justify doing that much.  As for moving
to an ADP, I have a framework that implements hundreds of behaviors that are
totally "automated" and allowed me to build the FE and it's functionality in
1/10th the time it would take to do it form by form implementing the same
functionality.  Because of this, the framework has to be modified to be
modified to be ADP friendly.  I do things like:

SELECT [Somefield] from Sometable WHERE SomeColumn LIKE
SomeForm!SomeControl.

These statements return EDITABLE recordsets in Access.  I use these EDITABLE
recordsets EVERYWHERE.  As we all know, this simply doesn't work in SQL
Server.  Until I can get around that obstacle in SQL Server, moving ANY
project to SQL Server will be non-trivial.