[AccessD] Formatting time - minutes to hour:minutes

CYNTHIA SPELL CSPELL at jhuccp.org
Fri Jan 9 06:34:00 CST 2004

My application is working correctly now - thanks to your suggestions.  Once again, I've learned a lot from the discussion.

cindy

>>> gustav at cactus.dk 01/09/04 05:47AM >>>
Hi Lambert

> But your TimeHour function returns a Date data type, and it uses TimeSerial
> to generate the return value, so once again, if your input value is more the
> 24 * 60 minutes then you will get back a nonsense date and time value.

How do you figure this out? It will not - unless you specifically wish
to by modifying a code line as explained in the in-line comment.

Have in mind, please, that the TimeHour() function is not meant to
represent some kind of "universal" function. It was made for summing
time intervals which would never add to one day. There a many cases
for this in real life, starting/stopping engines, billable hours etc.
where you always group by date. Cynthia's need could very well be
similar.

> I repeat, if you are interesting in time durations then you need to work
> with numerical values, not Date/Time values. The Access Date/Time data type
> is inherently tied to the concept of a date - a point on the time line,
> which has nothing to do with the idea of a duration. This is why DateDiff
> returns a Long value, not some kind of date value.

I do understand you and if you look up the archives you will find
several messages from me stating the same; in fact, I prefer this
method if for nothing else that you get rounded values by, say, the
second and prevents the mess you can experience when doing algebra
with Doubles and Singles.
However, if you shift a time interval calculated from two absolute time
values (start and stop) so that the start time value is at zero (which
is what DateSerial() and TimeSerial() do) then the time interval can
be expressed by the time value of the stop time. This doesn't trun the
time interval into a "time" but it allows you to use the date/time
datatype which again will allow you to use the standard date/time
formatting capabilities of Access; this may or may not be advantageous
- that depends on many factors including your own preferences.

/gustav