[AccessD] Replication

Scott Marcus marcus at tsstech.com
Tue Jul 27 13:56:39 CDT 2004

I have an Access97 backend that I would like to replicate with an SQL server once per hour. Is this possible? Would you do this differently? Any help will be much appreciated.

Some details...
1) The back-end is on a win95 laptop. The hardware is too old to upgrade any software.
2) We like the idea of keeping the back-end local because the network can be flakey at times. This application needs to run 24x7 with no down-time.
3) Currently, there are six of these machines that synchronize with a master copy on the network, once per hour.
4) I want to upsize the master to SQL Server so that a maintenance module can be written using ASP.NET. I know that you can open the network copy of the mdb in ASP.NET via ADO, I just prefer upsizing to SQL Server.
5) Eventually (could be years or sooner if the above goes well) these win95 laptops will be replaced and those front ends will be rewritten (probably ASP.NET if that is the technology we stick with).
6) I'm fairly familiar with replication at the mdb level, but not SQL Server level.

Scott Marcus
TSS Technologies, Inc.
marcus at tsstech.com
(513) 772-7000