[AccessD] Hiding Back End Design

Ken Ismert KIsmert at TexasSystems.com
Wed Jun 23 20:46:13 CDT 2004

Open Source is based on the idea that "the community is more powerful than the individual". It may yet prove to be more powerful than the largest of corporations. Is the Open Source community driven primarily through altruism? Partly, but there is a strong element of self-interest. Firstly, everyone benefits from the contributions of the few. And the few benefit by establishing reputations, building expertise and a public body of work that often has marketable value.

AccessD is a good example of a gift-giving community. Knowledge is freely given by contributors to enrich the community. Are the contributors in it for an ego-stroke? Sure, but again, its mainly self-interest. It is fair to say that almost all members here receive far more than they give.

In both communities, the simple act of generosity has the effect of motivating the recipient to give back.

The question of whether Open Source is a viable business model for someone in a vertical market like Rocky is a separate issue. I would tend to think not. But, judicious application of certain Open Source concepts to certain aspects of the business may help, both in practical ways, and in enticing Customers with the perception of generosity.

-Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven W. Erbach [mailto:serbach at new.rr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 5:52 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Hiding Back End Design

Drew,

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but your comments have little meaning. It's on the order of "If wishes were fishes, we could all eat fishwiches," or "Can't we all just get along?" (Rodney King). Semantically null, as Heinlein would say.

>> I know that's ideology at it's best, but then again, there are islands of
this ideology all over the place.  This list is a good example. <<

This list is a good example of a whole passle of people whose self-respect is bolstered by helping others. "Ideology?" Nah!

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI
920-969-0504

"The too open mind is an empty mind." - Douglas Kern