[AccessD] Double Data Entry Requirement

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Wed Apr 20 13:07:55 CDT 2005

I've seen this kind of requirement before.  It's a holdover from the
green screen days when operators did heads down data entry all day and
there was little or no validation at data entry and the terminal
keyboard was limited.  QA relied on data being entered twice to make
sure it matched and then handling exceptions.  It doesn't make a lot of
sense in the newer languages, and I have dealt with it in the past by
suggesting that if the business rules were clearly defined, the data
could be verified in code either before or after being committed.  A
couple of problems with double entry verification are that the second
time could be incorrect or both could be incorrect but might match.  At
that point you have validated garbage.  This criteria is often suggested
by people who have no clue as to how validation can be done in code or
by the input form itself.

Charlotte Foust