[AccessD] OT - Excel Find next highest number above 0

Thu Aug 11 15:02:18 CDT 2005

So presumably you have a query that selects one client's counters and sorts
them by the count rate and it is the results of this query that is being
output to Excel. Something like this...

SELECT tblCounters.nCountRate
FROM tblCounters
WHERE (((tblCounters.nClientID)=1))
ORDER BY tblCounters.nCountRate DESC;

Say this is qryCountRates

You could just as easily write a Totals query to do the calculation of the
percentage. This query would use the first query as its data source, and it
would have a criteria that would specify that the count rate must be > 0.

Like this...

SELECT Max(qryCountRates.nCountRate) AS MaxNo, Min(qryCountRates.nCountRate)
AS MinNo, ([MaxNo]-[MinNo])/[MaxNo] AS Perc
FROM qryCountRates
WHERE (((qryCountRates.nCountRate)>0));

This (with some dummy data I cobbled together) produced results like this in
just a few seconds: probably much faster than running a custom VBA function
thousands of times.

MaxNo	MinNo	Perc
100000	58	0.999419987201691

HTH